Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Flower bulbs, natural habitat versus cultivated





As a gardener I prefer a natural looking garden, where the plants look like they belong there and are allowed to multiply (if they want to) yet I have to say there is something mesmerizing about a straight lined intensely colored field of flower bulbs like you see them in Holland.

To illustrate these contrasts here are some pictures. Throughout the country side you'll be able to see an abundance of Snowdrops (Galanthus Nivalis) growing in wooded areas, around farms or just by the side of a ditch. I'm trying this in my American backyard but it will take some more years before it will look anything like this. For some reason my Snowdrops are not multiplying as fast as the Dutch Snowdrops are...
I have fond memories of early childhood when you knew spring had arrived because the florists were selling little bouquets of Snowdrops, their heads tightly held together by a big Ivy leaf.

And then there are the flower bulb fields where all kinds of bulbs are grown in well organized and modernized fashion. During our last trip to Holland, the fields of Crocus and miniature Daffodils (the early bloomers) were only just starting to color but by the time we left they were in full bloom and really, there is nothing like an intensely purple field of flowers against one of those famous Dutch cloudy skies!

As you can see in the pictures, the soil in the bulb region is light and sandy, traditionally most bulbs were grown on grounds directly behind the dunes.In winter the fields are covered with straw to prevent the flower bulbs from freezing and the pale color of the straw provides a beautiful contrast to the flowering bulbs.

2 comments:

kathy said...

The colors are great! I love to see rows of flowers. I grow a few "naturalized" snowdrops myself, but I can't grow rows of flowers. Its a beautiful sight.

Bollenjongen said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Yes, there is something about the intensity of the color when all these bulbs are planted in rows. I never grow tired of it.